Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Adventures of Ryan in Geneva - week 2......and a half

yeah, I know I'm a few days late on my update. sue me. I've been too busy living it up in the city that never sleeps!!!

cause it's dead.....

so...I worked all week, but nothing exciting happened. and as most of you already know, my beloved Hokies lost on Saturday. I stayed up all night just to watch the game (which came on at 2am here) only to have us lose. so that sucked. and as a result, I only got 3 hours of sleep Saturday night.

but on Sunday morning, my supervisor here, Dottie, took me and a couple that just arrived at post to the Chateau de Chillon (castle of Chillon) just outside of Montreux, Switzerland. this was a nice day trip. the castle is situated between Lake Geneva and the Alps...so it's a pretty amazing site...you know, when there isn't fog everywhere. seems like whenever Linz and I (or just I in this case) go somewhere with mountains, the fog follows us. but I still got some good pictures (Dottie let me borrow her camera). here ya go...

taadaa!! it's a castle!!!!!


here's some armor
(whoever wore the suit second from the left had some huge hips)


who wants to guess what this is?
yup, it's a toilet.....just sit on the hole and have at it.
goes right into the lake.....very convenient.


this is where they would shackle bad little boys and girls...
(you paying attention Greene children?)


uh-oh.........
this is where they would hang those same little kids after too many time-outs.
(be thankful you have such a lenient mommy and daddy....you're getting off light)


view to the left of the castle....


and the view to the right.


AND HERE'S ME!!!!!!


many of you may recognize the name of the castle from the famous poem by Lord Byron, "The Prisoner of Chillon." Hmmm? No? No one? Really? Dad? This seems like the kind of useless info you would know. Anyway, the poem was based on a true story about the imprisonment of Francois de Bonivard from 1530 to 1536. they have his story written on the wall in the prison of the castle. because the castle is situated directly on the water, Bonivard could hear the water splash up against the castle wall, and it drove him mad because he thought that he had been imprisoned beneath the lake.....freaky. anyway, here is a pic of where he was held....

he was shackled to that column...


and they placed a plaque on the wall for Lord Byron...
yup, they gave a plaque to the guy who wrote the poem....vice the guy who was actually imprisoned

well, that's all i have this week. stay tuned for more....

No comments: