Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Vatican-Rome, Italy

Vatican City was so much larger than I thought, and very impressive. Since Ryan and I are not catholic, some things were really strange. For example, people came to St. Peter's cathedral (that big building with a dome on the top in the pics below) and inside there was a line of people who would walk up to this statue of St. Peter and rubbed his foot. His foot has been rubbed so many times that his toes are almost non-existant...creepy that so many people have a Saint foot fetish!!! We ended up eating with a girl who was there for a catholic conference and she explained why they were rubbing all up on Peter...I still don't get it, but whatever...I won't judge. Regardless I think people should leave poor Peter's' foot alone, since when is it ok to touch a statue that should be preserved for future generations? Anyway I'm done with Peter's feet. He was a very special guy for our faith, and it was neat to see the place where his bones are buried and he has a pretty sweet church. 
St. Peter's Basilica

































Alter in St. Peter's
















Famous statue of Mary and Jesus by Michelangelo

No comments: